A key element of Business Planning is to understand the internal and external environmental factors that have an impact on your business unit. This is usually addressed through a SWOT analysis which is an assessment that we undertake to assist in developing a clear sense of reality.
- Strengths: Internal resources or capabilities
- Weaknesses: Internal deficiencies in resources or capabilities and Internal areas for improvement
- Opportunities: External factors or situations that can favorably have an impact on the Business Unit
- Threats: External factors or situations that can negatively have an impact on the Business Unit
This is an Environmental Analysis at Business Unit level. Key issues relating to the business unit can be considered, with associated Solutions or Controls. These can later be linked to an Action, if appropriate.
- STEP 1: Go to Menu > Planning > Delivery Program / Operational Plan > SWOT or select SWOT from the side toolbar.
- STEP 2: Click the 'New' icon to create a record.
- STEP 3: Enter the issue title and select the type that the particular issue belongs to. You can record all solutions associated with the issues identified.
- STEP 4: Type the solution in the text box and click the 'Add' button. This can later be linked to Actions. See section the 'Action Details' below for more information.
- STEP 5: Click the 'Save' button to save your SWOT analysis.
When an issue is added it will be added to the list on the left. Use the filter options to locate items and click on Edit to open them.
A Risk Assessment can also be undertaken by clicking the ‘Risk Assessment’ button. This will then link this issue as a risk to the Operational risk register for this business unit. This feature will only be available if your Organisation has purchased the Integrated Risk Manager (Camms.Risk®).